Ten years on


Photo credit: Pippa C
By the time you reach 50 you will have a story to tell - probably several - and most days will be an anniversary of something. Births, marriages, deaths. Tragedies and triumphs.

Today, is one of the more significant anniversaries for me: ten years on since life-saving bowel cancer surgery. 

I am here to tell the tale - yay! But this story is not one with a clear beginning, middle and end. The diagnosis was one starting point, but before that symptoms, and before that DNA unseen, mutating so that cells grew out of control becoming a tumour. The surgery was the middle of the year of treatment - preceded by radiotherapy, followed by chemotherapy - but could hardly be the middle of the journey. The cancer may be long gone, but I am left with a permanent colostomy and early osteoporosis in the spine. So I guess what I am saying is the story is continuing. 

Ten years ago, I was lucky to have many wonderful friends and family to help me through that most challenging chapter. Once again I say thank you to everyone who supported me at that time - whether it was with a few words of kindness, or substantial practical help. It was challenging, yes, but also not nearly as tough as it could have been.   

Five years ago I had a fantastic party. There was dancing (and food, drink, decorations, kids activities). 

This ten year anniversary will be lower key. Everyone has had a tough year and as a family we are no exception. However, I am looking forward to a fabulous weekend away with a couple of friends doing the Queenstown 10km this weekend. Perhaps some time soon I will sort out a belated celebration with music and dancing, but sadly almost everyone who was alongside me ten or five years ago will only be able to join in spirit. 

Looking back I mostly feel lucky. I coped well at the time, and wasn't prone to self pity. I was supported and loved. There were highs as well as lows. The experience shaped me, it didn't break me.

I haven't blogged for a couple of years. Life gets busy and then you wonder if you really have anything to say that is worth sharing with others. And this bit of my life is not exactly news to those most likely to read this!

But, I do want to connect. We all have our unique stories and I look forward to hearing more of yours soon. Today, mine is about cancer. Tomorrow it could be about something completely different. 

xxx



Comments