Introducing #50before50


I've been planning a project to try and live well in the next couple of years: 50 before 50.

There are times over the past few months that I felt as though I've been drifting. Marking time, not thriving. Not surprising I guess after such a major move a couple of years ago and putting so much into helping the kids make the most of their extra curricular activities. But I definitely need to reintroduce some focus, and to connect with things, people and activities that will help me to carry on growing, learning, and experiencing joy.

In reality I won't manage everything on the list but it will be fun to try - a mixture of things that are important to me, health, creativity, adventure, and friendship.

I have many ideas, and having started to mention it to some friends, I have ended up with a few new suggestions to add in.

Three keys items on this bucket list of sorts are to read 50 books, listen to 50 albums/pieces of music, and watch 50 films recommended by friends. It was putting these on the list that made me realise I need to start now and not wait until my final year before turning 50!
So, here are the first ten items on my 50 before 50 list:

1. Write a letter on paper to 10 people that I've not seen for over a year.*
2. Dance on a beach at dawn.*
3. Do the City to Sea walk in Wellington.
4. Get into the splits! (I'm already working on my flexibility!)
5. Do a group hug with as many family members as I can at one time.*
6. Join a peace vigil or protest march.
7. Go whale watching.
8. Read 50 books which have been recommended by friends.
9. Listen to 50 albums or pieces of music recommended by friends.
10. Watch 50 films recommended by friends.


* Thank you, Elspeth, for numbers 1, 2, and 5 on this list.

I've already been so grateful for the suggestions of friends I have talked to and messaged about this so far. The very act of starting to compile the list (and the individual lists of books, films and music) has made me smile.

Having personal recommendations has the added benefit of me thinking of that person in connection with whatever it is too. The book, film, and music selections are wonderfully eclectic but I will save sharing these for another time.

For now, I can just confirm that I have already read my first book (this one recommended by Pippa), and listened to my first piece of music. Both fabulous, making a wonderful start to this project - thank you.








Comments